Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Going deep

I've noticed recently that I tend to live life in polar opposites. I'm either focused on being creative, emotionally connected and deep, or I'm living life totally on the surface, focused on getting tasks accomplished and avoiding situations that might call for emotional investment. I'm one of those weird right-brained people who also has a type A person always fighting to get some air. It's almost as if I'm re-energizing myself by living at the surface so I can have the ability to go deep when I'm ready.

The problem with this type of living is that I often feel like I'm missing out on some beautiful moments. If I wasn't so intent on accomplishing a task like cleaning my son's room, I might not have missed seeing the artwork he made 2 years ago that brings back so many sweet memories. It takes time to connect in life, to experience emotions and to enjoy those kinds of moments. Time is such a precious commodity that I guess I avoid those things so I can be in control of it.

But what if God were totally in control 100% of the time? How much richer and deeper would my life be? How much more creative could I be if I was lead quickly into a transcendant moment rather than having to focus in a pre-determined creative time. Life is so much better when Jesus has the reigns. I need to trust him more with my time and not be afraid of tasks that go undone. The sacrifice of these mundane things really are worth the benefits of a life lived deeply and not on the surface. I can also trust him for the necessary energy it takes to connect emotionally. He will be my rock. He will be my energy. He is my everything.

No comments: